Soup season is upon us and I could not BE more thrilled.
If you know me, you know that I will eat soup for breakfast, lunch and dinner, not matter what the weather is like. It could be 90 degrees out and you’ll catch me sippin on soup.
Now that the weather is getting colder, I finally have an excuse to make soup that my family will actually eat with me.
Soup is one of those recipes that you don’t need to go shopping for. Which is just another reason I love it. I never know what kind of soup i’m going to make – until I open up my fridge and see what I have. Today, I had plenty of veggies in my fridge to create this flavorful, comforting soup.
This soup is bursting with flavors and will fill you up for hours and hours, giving you all of the nutrients and goodies that your body needs.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil/vegetable oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 1 turnip, sliced
- 1 cup kale (or spinach)
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 can garbanzo beans (chickpeas)
- 6 cups water with vegetable bouillon cubes (or you can use vegetable stock)
- 1 box/bag Orzo
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- Heat oil in a large pot. Add the chopped onion, minced garlic, the carrots, and the celery. Heat, until onions are soft. Add the rest of the vegetables and heat 3-4 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, garbanzo beans and Italian seasoning, stir.
- Add water and bouillon cubes, allow cubes to dissolve.
- Allow water to boil and vegetables to soften (about 10 minutes)
- Add orzo and allow it to cook – about 8 minutes.
This soup can be made with different variations of vegetables. Like I said before, don’t go shopping, just use whatever you have in your fridge!
I can’t wait to make more soups as the winter months come. Stay tuned 🙂