Football season is upon us, and I am so hyped — not about the football part though. I am a total people person, so whenever I get the chance to bring my friends together I take advantage of it. Football is the perfect excuse to get all of my friends in one place to taste test my recipes.
I ran into quite a problem while cooking these. I had all of the ingredients I knew that I needed. I was going to use corn tortillas but as I was getting ready to fold them, they ripped, and ripped, and ripped. I couldn’t figure out why (does anyone have an easy way to get corn tortillas to stay in one piece?!).
I started to panic. I had already told my friends that taquitos were on the menu…and they had expressed their excitement, so I couldn’t disappoint them now.
Then I realized that I had leftover Egg Roll wrappers from another appetizer I had made that day. These wrappers saved the day. They folded just like a corn tortilla would, without ripping or driving me absolutely insane. They were perfectly crispy on the outside but cheesy and soft on the inside.
This is my favorite part about cooking and creating recipes – you never know what is going to make an amazing combination until you actually do it. If I hadn’t run into the problem that I did, these would be regular, old fashion taquitos. But instead – a new amazing recipe was created.
Try these taquitos and let me know what you think! Make sure to tag @DishesbyD on your creations!
- 1 pack (about 20) egg roll wrappers.
- 8 oz cooked shredded chicken – I used a leftover rotisserie chicken
- 1 cup shredded Mexican blend cheese
- 1 package taco seasoning
- 1 cup Ortega taco sauce
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with tinfoil/parchment paper
- Mix together chicken, cheese, taco seasoning, and taco sauce
- Add mixture to one egg roll wrapper – and roll into a taquito shape (see photo above for example)
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Serve with taco sauce, salsa, sour cream, guacamole, etc!