I know what you’re thinking.
WHY would you want to eat a quesadilla without cheese? Why would you get rid of the cheese? Cheese is wonderful. Cheese didn’t do anything to hurt you. Bring back the cheese.
Well, for lactose intolerant people (like myself) CHEESE HURTS. While I eat it anyway 9 times out of 10, I wanted to try a recipe that wouldn’t hurt.
I’ve found that hummus acts as a delicious replacement for cheese. It has a creamy texture, and adds extra flavor.
I added a ton of vegetables that I had in my fridge because I love veggies and this is an easy way to include them in your diet!
So here it is, for all you quesadilla loving people – pain free. (If cheese doesn’t hurt you, simply add cheese to this recipe…duh)
- Whole Wheat Tortillas, 8 count
- Hummus of your choosing. I used roasted red pepper to give mine an extra zing.
- 1 15 ounce can of Black Beans, rinsed and drained.
- 1 15 ounce can of corn, rinsed and drained.
- Veggies of your choosing. I used: red bell pepper, green bell pepper & zucchini
- Cooking spray/butter
- non stick pan
- Spread one tablespoon of hummus on one half of tortilla.
- Add beans, corn, veggies.
- Fold tortilla in half.
- Heat butter or cooking spray on non stick pan over medium heat.
- Place tortilla on pan and let cook until filling is hot. About 3 minutes.
- Spray top of tortilla with cooking spray and flip. Let this side cook until brown as well.
- Repeat with leftover tortillas
Enjoy with a side of guacamole or salsa!
I have loved incorporating more vegetables into my diet the past few days. I haven’t felt as heavy and drained like I used to. I’m excited to keep experimenting and sharing my new favorite meals with you!
If you recreate this beautiful, pain free meal be sure to tag @DishesbyD on Instagram!